One of my favourite refreshing health drinks is graprfuit kefir, I go mad for this stuff! Water kefir can come in many flavours Pure earth which is the brand in this picture offers, spirulina, coconut, superberry, apple and mint and orange.
Water kefir is beneficial in many ways, here are some of them ;
- It’s a source of Probiotics
- Is a source of vitamins A, B1, B6 and B12.If you add fruits also vitamin C
- Pormotes skin health and anti -ageing
- Helps build bone density. A study found that consuming water kefir grains help you to improve bone density and reduce the risks of osteoporosis. It is due to the improvement of nutrient absorption including magnesium, calcium, vitamin D, and phosphorus.
- Treats irritable bowel syndrome with it’s high doses of probiotics and promotes a healthy digestive system.
- Boosts the immune system. The bacteria helps fight infection, indigestion, and other disorders.
- Can help fight cancer Fights Cancer. A study shows regular consumption of water kefir helped to stop breast cancer growth and malignant ovarian cancer. Further, it helps to kill certain types of cancer.
What are water kefir grains?
Water kefir grains consist of bacteria and yeast existing in a symbiotic relationship. The term kefir grains describes only their look, they do not contain any actual grain.
If you want a cheaper alterntive to buying these bottles which, are quite expensive then you can check out these links below with more information on creating your own fruit kefirs. The recipe is below but the links give more detailed descriptions and what to be aware of when fermenting and choosing kefirs.
3-4 cups water kefir Juice of 1/2 large grapefruit 1 tsp. sugar
Combine water kefir with grapefruit juice and sugar in airtight bottles, leaving headspace in each one. Cap tightly and culture 24-72 hours. Be sure to burp the bottles at least once daily to relieve pressure. Chill in refrigerator.
Serve cold or over ice.
and a useful link with info on water kefir and an indepth look at how to make it can be found here